FAQs on K to 12 Transition Programs for HEI Personnel


What is K to 12?
Republic Act 10533 or “The Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013” was signed into law in 2013. It covers kindergarten (K) and 12 years of basic education (six years of elementary, four years of junior high school, and two years of senior high school). This provides sufficient time for mastery of concepts and skills, develops lifelong learners, and prepares graduates for tertiary education, employment, and entrepreneurship.

What is the transition period?
The transition period for the K to 12 reform refers to the time from September 2013 (when the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533 were passed) to the end of SY 2021-2022. However, when used within a higher education context, it refers to the five-year period from SY 2016-2017 until SY 2020-2021, in which students nationwide will enroll in Senior High School instead of going straight to college. This means that there will be low enrollment for college freshmen in 2016-2017, low enrollment for college freshmen and sophomores in 2017-2018, low enrolment for college sophomores and juniors in 2018-2019, and so on until 2021-2022.

Why can’t displaced college teachers simply be the ones to teach in Senior High School?
They can. Many higher education institutions are offering Senior High School to curb the effect of the transition period on their personnel. As part of its transition programs, DepEd is also prioritizing displaced higher education personnel in hiring for Senior High School (DepEd Order No. 3, s. 2016 and DepEd Order No. __, s. ). In addition, SHS Support Grants are available for said teachers. Refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 9, series of 2016.


K to 12 Transition Programs for HEI Personnel

To ensure the sustainability of private and public educational institutions; to protect the rights, interests, and welfare of teaching and non-teaching personnel; and to optimize employment retention or to prevent displacement, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Department of Education (DepEd), the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) have programs that teaching and non-teaching personnel in private and public HEIs may avail during the transition period.

CHED Development Packages
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) K to 12 Transition Program was designed precisely for teaching and non-teaching HEI personnel who will experience a much lower workload during the transition, with the view of not only curbing the adverse effects of the transition but also, and more importantly, upgrading higher education in the country:

  • Scholarships for Graduate Studies and Professional Advancement – CHED will give scholarships to higher education personnel to complete their master’s degrees and/or finish their doctorate degrees.
  • Development Grants for Faculty and Staff – Deloaded faculty and staff may also avail of grants that will allow them to retool and engage in research, community extension, industry immersion, and other professional development programs throughout the transition period.
  • Institutional Development and Innovation Grants for Institutions – HEIs may likewise apply for grants to fund the upgrading of their programs through, among others: (1) international linkages, (2) linkages with industry, (3) research, or (4) the development of priority, niche, or endangered programs.

DepEd “Green Lane” Hiring of Displaced HEI Personnel
For SY 2016-2017, the DepEd will be hiring 36,150 teachers for SHS.  The DepEd has established a “Green Lane” to prioritize and fast-track the hiring of displaced HEI personnel, matching them in terms of location and salary.

DOLE Adjustment Measures Program (AMP)
This program aims to support the displaced HEI personnel in their transition to self or full-time employment through financial support, employment facilitation, and training and livelihood. Refer to DOLE Department Order No. 152 – 16, series of 2016.

The Financial Support Program protects the displaced HEI personnel against loss of continued income. The amount shall be based on prevailing median salary of HEI personnel per nature of appointment per region, or his/her affected/loss of salary, whichever is lower. The Program covers three (3) months of financial support for non-permanent HEI personnel and six (6) months for permanent HEI personnel. Non-permanent HEI with no other source of income may be entitled to six (6) months financial support subject to validation. The financial support shall be given every end of the month through the K to 12 DOLE AMP authorized bank.

The Employment Facilitation Program provides tools and venues for reemployment which include profiling of displaced HEI personnel, matching, and job referrals.

The Training and Livelihood Program provides the displaced HEI personnel with an opportunity to upgrade his/her skills through TESDA programs as well as entrepreneurship training and livelihood opportunities under the DOLE Kabuhayan Program.

TESDA Programs
TESDA offers trainings and livelihood programs that are linked to the K to 12 DOLE-AMP alongside its regular program offerings.


CHED Development Packages



Who can apply for the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships?
HEI teaching and qualified non-teaching staff, permanent and non-permanent, are eligible for scholarships under the K to 12 Transition Program. Nomination of prospective scholars must be done by their Sending HEI (SHEI). Refer to CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 3, series of 2016, and CMO No. 36, series of 2016 for details.

Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI?
No. CHED will only award scholarships to those who take graduate studies in approved Delivering HEIs (DHEIs) and programs nationwide. For the list of approved nominees for the Scholarship Grants for the First Semester of AY 2016-2017, please refer to CMO No. 26, s. 2016; CMO No. 28, s. 2016; and CMO No. 31, s. 2016.

Where can a list of CHED-recognized DHEIs be found?
CHED released the list of approved DHEIs listed in the following CHED Memorandum Orders: CMO No. 8, s. 2016; CMO No. 10, s. 2016; CMO No. 16, s. 2016; and CMO No. 23, s. 2016. The list of DHEIs is to be updated each academic year.

Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program before s/he can be nominated for the scholarship?
No. SHEIs may nominate faculty or staff before they receive admission to recognized DHEIs. However, the scholarship will not be disbursed unless they are admitted.

Are there other available scholarship grants for those who want to pursue their graduate studies abroad?
Yes. Filipino scholars who wish to pursue graduate studies abroad may apply for Foreign Scholarships for Graduate Studies issued under CMO No. 22, s. 2016. The grants are intended for HEI teaching and non-teaching personnel with a strong potential to become leaders in their respective discipline areas, institutions and communities, provided that they commit to fulfill a return service obligation in the form in teaching upon completion of the grant.

What are the types of grants available under the Foreign Scholarships?
Eligible applicants may either apply for (1) Start-up grant for Foreign Studies Application; (2) Ph.D. Sandwich Program; (3) Partial Support for Foreign Master’s and Doctoral Studies; and   (4) Full Scholarships for Master’s and Doctoral Studies.

For an updated list of Full Scholarships opportunities, visit: chedk12.wordpress.com/foreignscholarships.



The CHED is offering a series of grants through which HEI personnel with reduced workloads can receive scholarships and other grants to advance content knowledge, be trained in pedagogical tools, promote research productivity, and build capability through immersive learning engagements in various sectors. These grants include the Instruction, Research and Sectoral Engagement Grants. Please refer to CMO No. 11, s. 2016 and CMO No. 14, s. 2016

(1) Instruction Grants are available to faculty who can undergo a variety of training programs that will directly inform and improve instruction. These are grants that can either give faculty specific training in contemporary shifts in higher education, particularly as the country implements the Revised General Education Curriculum. This component will be rolled out in SY 2017-2018.

(2) Research Grants will be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA). These grants include creative and technology projects not normally considered as academic research. Similarly, this component will be rolled out in SY 2017-2018.

(3) Sectoral Engagement Grants are where industry partners, civil society organizations, and government agencies will form partnerships with CHED and HEIs for faculty members to share their expertise, to employ their skills and knowledge to contribute to development, and to incorporate insights from field experience to align with instruction and current practice. CHED is tapping industry and civil society partners through their umbrella organizations while conducting talks with other government agencies for potential partnerships. Refer to CMO No. 12, s. 2016 for Civil Society Organizations and CMO No. 13, s. 2016 for Industry partners.

Who are eligible for the IRSE grants?
All faculty and staff, regardless of status are eligible for the grant. The only requirement is that they are retained in the sending institution.

Are grants available during the latter part of the Transition Period?
Yes. A main feature of the grant is that it is accessible when the faculty needs it due to deloading. This must be reflected in the semestral HEI application.

Where can the list of approved nominees for the IRSE Grants be accessed?
The batches of the approved nominees who are to receive the benefits of the IRSE Grants can be found in CMO No. 29, s. 2016; and CMO No. 32, s. 2016.



Who can avail of the Green Lane prioritization?
Displaced HEI faculty who have a minimum teaching experience of at least one (1) complete academic year in an HEI as of academic year (AY) 2014-2015 and have been displaced as a result of the implementation of RA 10533 otherwise known as the “Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013.”

What are the requirements for SHS Teacher Applicants?
Mandatory requirements for all applicants are:

  • Letter of intent indicating statement of purpose or expression of interest, subject group he/she intends to teach, and preferred school, if any;
  • Two copies of personal data sheet (CSC Form 212) with latest 2×2 ID picture
  • Certified copies of certificates of relevant specialized training, if any;
  • Proof of residency;
  • NBI clearance; and
  • Signed omnibus certification of authenticity and veracity of all documents submitted.

A certified copy of Certification of Employment/Service Record from HEI/TVI is required for HEI/TVI Faculty applicants.

Additional requirements for full-time and part-time positions, TVL, Arts and Design, and Sports Tracks teacher applicants may be found in DepEd Order (DO) No. 3, s. 2016.

What is the application process for SHS Teacher-Applicants?

  1. Accomplish all mandatory and additional requirements.
  2. Submit to Schools Division Office (SDO) or preferred school.
  3. Evaluation by Division Selection Committee.
  4. Scheduling of interview and teaching demonstration.
  5. Registry of Qualified Applicants (RQA) will be released as approved by Schools Division Superintendent.
  6. SDO processes appointments of qualified SHS teacher applicants.

Can a hired TVI course graduate/HEI faculty/practitioner apply as an SHS teacher?
Graduates of technical-vocational courses must have the necessary certification issued by TESDA and undergo training to be administered by DepEd or HEIs. Faculty of colleges and universities must be full-time professors and be holders of a relevant Bachelor’s degree. DepEd and private schools may also hire practitioners with expertise in the specialized learning areas offered by the K to 12 Program as part-time teachers.   Faculty of TVIs and HEIs will be given priority in hiring for the transition period from September 2013 until SY 2021-2022.

Can a graduate of science/math/engineering/course apply as an SHS teacher?
Yes. If you are willing to teach on a part-time basis, you will not be required to take and pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET). If you want a permanent position, you will need to take and pass the LET within five (5) years after your date of hiring to remain employed full-time.

Do HEI applicants undergo a different screening process? Are different quality standards applied to them?
Same screening process and qualification standards shall apply to HEI applicants. However, regardless of their status (contractual or permanent), their teaching experience will be accounted for and will give them additional points compared to non-HEI applicants. The point system will be as follows:

  • At least one (1) year of experience = additional one (1) point
  • More than one (1) year to less than three (3) years experience = additional 3 points
  • Three (3) or more years of experience = additional five (5) points

In addition, displaced HEI faculty (with specializations needed by the school) shall be appointed first before all other qualified applicants may be appointed, regardless of their rank, as long as they have met the qualifying cut-off score.

Can any HEI faculty, regardless of whether they will be displaced, be allowed to apply for SHS teaching positions? Will the same screening process and quality standards apply to them?
Yes, any HEI faculty can apply for SHS teaching positions. They may be hired if they are found to be qualified under the same screening process. However, the special treatment appropriated for displaced HEI applicants will not be applied to non-displaced HEI applicants.

Will SHS still be hiring in the second semester of each school year?
Hiring during the second semester of the SY may still be possible based on the needs of schools determined by the Schools Division Offices.

Will those that have already taken the English Proficiency Test (EPT) have to take it again?
Those who have taken the EPT in 2014 or later may opt not to retake the test. The Division Testing Coordinator shall request from the Bureau of Education Assessment (BEA) the official scores of applicants who declared they have taken the EPT in 2014 or later.

Can an industry practitioner without National TVET Trainer certificate (NTTC) apply to teach in SHS?
Yes. However, practitioners without NTTC and applicants for courses that have no National Certificates shall be rated and assessed through demonstration by industry partners or duly recognized TTIs/TVIs with which the SDO shall partner.

Will National Certificate (NC) holders without teaching experience be qualified to teach in SHS?
A practitioner holding appropriate TESDA certifications but without teaching experience may be hired to teach, provided that he/she meets the 70-point cutoff for inclusion in the RQA.

Can the National Certificate (NC) and Trainers Methodology Certificate (TMC) requirements in the Qualification Standards (QS) be waived for licensed professionals?
Appropriate TESDA certifications, such as NC and TMC, are required for SHS TVL teacher-applicants, as detailed in CSC Resolution No. 1600358 promulgated April 5, 2016.

How are part-time SHS teachers compensated?
Compensation for part-time services will be computed proportionately.


TESDA Transition Program 

How can displaced HEI personnel avail of the TESDA programs and services?
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Regional/Field Offices will endorse to the nearest TESDA Provincial Offices in the provinces and District Offices in Metro Manila the displaced HEI personnel who wants to avail of TESDA skills training programs. The concerned TESDA Provincial Offices in the provinces or District Offices in Metro Manila will facilitate the orientation, screening/ processing of prospective beneficiaries. Qualified applicants will be issued training vouchers for the specific qualifications that they want to pursue.

Will an experienced HEI faculty especially those who are holders of Masters or Doctorate degrees who wish to teach Tech-Voc in SHS still undergo TESDA assessment and certification?
Yes. They need to possess the National TVET Trainers Certificate which is a combination of two (2) certifications: National Certificate (NC) in the specific qualifications that they will teach in SHS and the Training Methodology (TM) Certificate. The Training Methodology (TM) program will enable the individual to perform the following competencies:

  • Plan training sessions
  • Facilitate learning sessions
  • Supervise Work-based learning
  • Conduct competency assessment
  • Maintain training facilities
  • Utilize electronic media in facilitating training

How can faculty of Higher Education Institutions be able to teach TVET courses in SHS?
Faculty of private HEIs/TVIs may be hired hire to teach in their specialized subjects in SHS. These graduates must possess the necessary certification issued by the TESDA and that they undergo appropriate in-service trainings to be administered by the DepEd. They will be given priority in hiring under DepEd’s “Green Lane” program during the K to 12 transition period


K to 12 DOLE Adjustment Measures Program (K to 12 DOLE-AMP) 

Who are qualified to avail of the program?
All HEI personnel, regardless of tenure and position, who are displaced due to the implementation of the RA No.10533, may avail of the program benefits.

Is the program limited to professors and instructors?
No. The program is open to both teaching personnel and non-teaching personnel such as maintenance personnel, librarians, guidance counselors, administrative staff and others provided that they are displaced because of the implementation of the K to 12 Program.

Is a part-time faculty qualified to avail of K to 12 DOLE AMP?
Yes, a part-time faculty is covered by the program if he/she is terminated by the HEI.

Will a faculty whose teaching load was merely reduced because of the K to 12 Program be qualified for the K to 12 DOLE AMP?
No. K to 12 DOLE AMP only applies to terminated HEI personnel.

What are the services that can be availed of in this program?
K to 12 DOLE AMP offers the following services:

  1. Financial Support;  
  2. Employment Facilitation; and
  3. Training and Livelihood.

Is it possible for a displaced HEI personnel to avail of all these services?
Yes, any qualified displaced HEI personnel may avail of all the three services simultaneously.

What kind of Financial Support can a displaced HEI personnel get?
The Financial Support under the K to 12 DOLE AMP is a form of assistance to be used by the displaced personnel in his/her search for subsequent full-time wage employment. An assessed and qualified displaced HEI personnel shall receive an amount equivalent to either his/her previous salary or the prevailing regional median salary, whichever is lower.

How long will a displaced HEI personnel receive the financial support?
The period for receiving the amount will vary depending on the displaced HEI personnel’s status of employment. If the displaced HEI personnel is a permanent employee, the Financial Support will be for a period of six (6) months. If the displaced personnel is a  non-permanent HEI personnel, he/she will receive the Financial Support for a period of three (3)  to six (6) months depending on if the whether or not his/her unemployment resulted to  a total income loss.

Upon acceptance to the DOLE AMP program, how will the displaced HEI personnel be able to receive the financial support?
Financial support grant will be released through ATM money transfers.

What other services can a displaced HEI personnel avail of aside from Financial Support?
Qualified HEI personnel may likewise avail of Employment Facilitation; and Training and Livelihood.

What is Employment Facilitation all about?
Displaced HEI personnel will be referred to other existing DOLE Employment programs as indicated in the Recommended Plan of Action (RPA) to be given to the qualified applicant upon his/her acceptance to the program.

What will happen if the displaced HEI personnel wishes to avail of Training and Livelihood services?
The displaced HEI personnel will be referred to TESDA or other government sponsored trainings, subject to compliance by the same to the requirements of such government programs. These tranings may or may not be provided free of charge by these government institutions. A list of free trainings is available at the DOLE Regional Offices (RO) and TESDA.

How can the applicant avail of K to 12 DOLE AMP?
The applicant will submit an application form, together with other requirements, to the nearest DOLE Regional/Field Offices (DOLE ROs FOs) or the Public Employment Service Office (PESO). Such application forms may be secured from the Quick Response Team (QRT) that will be visiting the school within thirty (30) days after notice of termination from the HEI.

What are the documentary requirements that a displaced HEI personnel must submit?

  1. Notice of termination issued by the HEI;
  2. Photocopy of HEI employee’s ID or any government ID;
  3. Latest income tax return (ITR), if applicable.

What will happen after submission by the displaced HEI personnel of all the requirements?
The applicant will receive a notice from the K to 12 DOLE AMP. If qualified, a Notice of Acceptance will be sent to the applicant containing instructions on how to proceed with availment of the program. If not qualified, a Notice of Denial will be sent to the applicant.

What are the conditional requirements of the program?
A displaced HEI personnel qualified for Financial Support (FS) is required to make ten (10) job contacts within, or every after, three (3) months which must be reflected in their individual Recommended Plan of Action (RPAs).

Can a qualified displaced HEI personnel be suspended/disqualified from the program?
Yes. An accepted displaced HEI personnel may be suspended from the program if he/she does not comply with the conditional requirements or he/she was issued a warning. A third count of disregard of the prescribed conditional requirements, misrepresentation of facts or submission of falsified documents will disqualify an accepted displaced HEI personnel from receiving program benefits.

Can a K to 12 DOLE AMP grantee still avail of any CHED or DepEd mitigation program?
A DOLE AMP grantee may apply to teach in a DepEd SHS but may no longer avail of any CHED transition programs during the transition period.

If the HEI personnel is terminated who will shoulder payments for loans and premiums in SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-IBIG?
Payments for SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-IBIG premiums and loans will be shouldered by the terminated HEI personnel.

For additional information on the DOLE AMP Program, refer to DOLE Department Order No. 152-16, s. 2016.