Will SHS still be hiring in the second semester of each school year? The K to 12 Program as embodied in Republic Act No. 10533 or the Basic Education Act of 2016 covers Kindergarten and 12 years of basic education (six years of primary education, four years of Junior High School, and two years of Senior High School [SHS]) to provide sufficient time for mastery of concepts and skills, develop lifelong learners, and prepare graduates for tertiary education, middle-level skills development, employment, and entrepreneurship. The K to 12 Program covers 13 years of basic education with the following key stages:
Kindergarten to Grade 3
Grades 4 to 6
Grades 7 to 10 (Junior High School)
Grades 11 and 12 (Senior High School)


What is the transition period? The transition period for the K to 12 reform refers to the time from September 2013 (when the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533 were passed) to the end of SY 2021-2022. However, when used within a higher education context, it refers to the five-year period from SY 2016-2017 until SY 2020-2021, in which students nationwide will enrol in Senior High School instead of going straight to college. This means that there will be low college freshman enrolment in 2016-2017, low enrolment for freshmen and sophomores the next year, low enrolment for sophomores and juniors the year after that, and so on.
Why can’t displaced college teachers simply be the ones to teach in Senior High School? They can. Many higher education institutions are offering Senior High School to curb the effect of the transition period on their personnel. As part of the mitigation measures, Department of Education (DepEd) is also prioritizing displaced higher education personnel in hiring for Senior High School. In addition, SHS Support Grants are available for said teachers. Refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 9, series of 2016.
What about those faculty members who will not be retrenched but will have lower income because of reduced teaching load? The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) K to 12 Transition Program was designed precisely for faculty and staff in this period of low teaching and workloads. They may avail of Scholarships, Instruction, Research and Sectoral Engagement (IRSE) Grants, or SHS Support Grants.


K to 12 program’s Impact on HEI personnel
Is it true that more that 80,000 people will lose their jobs because of K to 12 program implementation? Fortunately, no. It is not true that 80,000 people stand to lose their jobs in light of the transition. The estimated displacement stands at 25,000 people.

CHED, together with the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS) and the University of the Philippines Population Institute (UPPI), has come up with the following estimates on the number of people who may lose their jobs over the five-year transition (as of April 23, 2015):

What are the government mitigationprograms available? Four government agencies, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), DepEd, the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), -CHED, converged in order to implement programs seeking to mitigate the projected impact of K to 12 program implementation to HEI personnel. Pursuant to Section 31 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA 10533 Joint Guidelines between and among the four government agencies was forged in order to ensure the effectiveness of the mitigation measures. The following are the programs established pursuant to the joint guidelines:
DepEd Green Lane
DepEd needs to hire 30,000 new teachers and 6,000 new non-teaching staff in 2016-2017 alone, and about the same number again for 2017-2018–more than enough to absorb all the displaced personnel from the higher education sector. DepEd will open a “Green Lane” to prioritize and fast-track their hiring, in keeping with RA 10533, and will match them according to locality and salary.
DOLE Adjustment Measures Program
Those who will opt not to transfer to DepEd, on the other hand, will benefit from the Adjustment Measures Program of DOLE which will provide income support for a maximum duration of three months to six months depending on nature of previous position, employment facilitation that matches their skills to the current job market, and training and livelihood programs in case they may want to pursue entrepreneurship.
CHED has designed the following development packages for faculty and staff who will experience a much lower workload during the transition, with the view of not only curbing the adverse effects of the transition but also, and more importantly, upgrading higher education in the country:

• Scholarships for Graduate Studies and Professional Advancement – CHED will give a total of 15,000 scholarships to higher education personnel: for 8,000 to complete master’s degrees and another 7,000 to finish doctorate degrees.

• Development Grants for Faculty and Staff – Those who may not wish to go on full-time study may still avail of grants that will allow them to retool, engage in research, community service, industry immersion, and other programs throughout the transition period.

• Innovation Grants for Institutions – Higher education institutions may likewise apply for innovation grants to fund the upgrading of their programs through: (1) international linkages, (2) linkages with industry, (3) research, or (4) the development of priority, niche, or endangered programs.

TESDA offers trainings and livelihood programs that are linked to DOLE’s K to 12 DOLE AMP alongside its regular program offerings.
I am a teacher, how will SHS affect me? Will I lose my Job? The DepEd is in constant coordination with CHED and DOLE on the actual number of affected faculty from private higher education institutions (HEIs). The worst-case scenario is that 39,000 HEI faculty will lose their jobs over 5 years. This will only happen if none of the HEIs will put up their own Senior High Schools, which is since we are currently processing over 1,000 SHS applications from private institutions. DepEd is also hiring more than 30,000 new teachers in 2016 alone. The Department will prioritize affected faculty who will apply as teachers or administrators in our SHS.
What are the requirements for application? Green Lane program provides for mandatory requirements and additional requirements. Additional requirements will depend on the nature or tenure of employment and subject to be taught. The following are the general mandatory requirements for all applicants.
1) Letter of intent which shall indicate the following information: a) Statement of purpose/expression of interest; b) Subject group he/she intends to teach; c) Preferred school(s), if any.
2) Personal Data Sheet in two (2) copies with the latest 2×2 ID picture
3) Certified photocopy of certificates of relevant specialized trainings, if any
4) Voter’s ID and/or proof of residency
5) NBI clearance
6) Omnibus certification of authenticity and veracity of all documents submitted, signed by the applicant
Additional requirements, for those seeking permanent positions: 1) Certified photocopy of Diploma on Bachelor’s degree
2) Certified photocopy of Transcript of Records with at least fifteen (15) units of specialization in relevant stand/specialized subject
3) Certified photocopy of Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) professional ID card/certificate of registration/license
4) Certified photocopy of ratings obtained in the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET)/Professional Board Examination for Teachers (PBET)
Additional requirements for those seeking part-time positions: Written approval from his head of unit if he/she is currently employed by the national government or local government unit.
Additional requirements for TVL Teacher-Applicants: 1) TESDANational Certificate (NC) of at least one level higher than course to be taught (e.g. NC-III in SMAW to teach SMAW-NC-II) or the same level if there is no NC level higher. Exceptions are given to applicants for courses with no National certificates (eg Handicraft courses).
2) Certified photocopy of Trainers Methodology Certificate (TMC), if available.
Additional requirements for Arts and Design and Sports Tracks teacher applicants: Certified photocopy of Certification of Proficiency/Recognition from recognized and respectable relevant associations/organizations/guild.
Additional requirement for HEI/TVI faculty: Certification of status of employment/service record from HEI/TVI.
Where will these requirements be submitted? Requirements should be submitted at the applicant’s preferred school or at the Division Office of the preferred school.
Can a graduate ofscience/math/engineering/course apply as an SHS teacher? Yes. If you are willing to teach on a part-time basis, you will not be required to take and pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET).If you want a permanent position, you will need to take and pass the LET within five (5) years after your date of hiring to remain employed full-time.
Can a hired TVI course graduate/HEI faculty/practitioner apply as an SHS teacher? Graduates of technical-vocational courses must have the necessary certification issued by TESDA and undergo training to be administered by DepEd or HEIs.Faculty of colleges and universities must be full-time professors and be holders of a relevant Bachelor’s degree.DepEd and private schools may also hire practitioners with expertise in the specialized learning areas offered by the K to 12 Program as part-time teachers.Faculty of TVIs and HEIs will be given priority in hiring for the transition period from September 2013 until SY 2021-2022.
Can an industry practitioner apply as an SHS teacher? You may teach as part-time teacher in Senior High School under the track subjects. We encourage you to consider this to share your valuable knowledge and experience to our SHS learners.
What selection committee shall evaluate the applicant? You will be evaluated by the Personnel Selection Board (PSB).
If an applicant wishes to apply for subject groups other than what he/she is currently teaching, should he/she undergo a different evaluation process? All SHS teacher applicants shall be evaluated according to the SHS subject group they intend to teach. The appropriate criteria in Part VII of DO 3, s of 2016 shall apply.
Can the Division Selection Committee (DSC) impose additional mandatory requirements? The DSC can add requirements but it should not be mandatory.
Until when can the DSC accept additional documents? The Division is expected to set deadlines based on their strategy on hiring and appointment.
Can the National Certificate (NC) and Trainers Methodology Certificate (TMC) requirements in the Qualification Standards (QS) be waived for licensed professionals? Appropriate TESDA certifications, such as NC and TMC, are required for SHS TVL applicants, as detailed in CSC Resolution No. 1600358, promulgated April 5, 2016.
How are part-time Senior High School (SHS) teachers compensated? Compensation for part-time services rendered will be computed proportionately.
Will those who have already taken the English Proficiency Test have to take it again? A practitioner holding the appropriate TESDA certifications but without teaching experience may be hired to teach, provided that he/she meets the seventy (70) point cutoff for the inclusion in the RQA.
Do HEI applicants undergo a different screening process? Are different quality standards applied to them? Same screening process and qualification standards shall apply to HEI applicants. However, regardless of their status (contractual or permanent), their teaching experience will be accounted for and will give them additional points compared to non-HEI applicants. The point system will be as follows:
• At least one (1) year of experience = additional one (1) point
• More than one (1) year to less than three (3) years experience = additional 3 points
• Three (3) or more years of experience = additional five (5) points
In addition, displaced HEI faculty (with specializations needed by the school) shall be appointed first before all other qualified applicants may be appointed, regardless of their rank, as long as they have met the qualifying cut-off score.
Can any HEI faculty, regardless of whether they will be displaced, be allowed to apply for SHS teaching positions? Will the same screening process and quality standards apply to them? Yes, any HEI faculty can apply for SHS teaching positions. They may be hired if they are found to be qualified under the same screening process. However, the special treatment appropriated for displaced HEI applicants will not be applied to non-displaced HEI applicants.
Will SHS still be hiring in the second semester of each school year? Hiring during the second semester of the SY may still be possible based on the needs of schools determined by the Schools Division Offices.
Can an industry practitioner without National TVET Trainer certificate (NTTC) apply to teach in SHS? Yes. However, practitioners without NTTC and applicants for courses that have no National Certificates shall be rated and assessed through demonstration by industry partners or duly recognized TTIs/TVIs with which the SDO shall partner.
CHED Development Packages
Who can apply for the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships? HEI faculty and qualified non-teaching staff are eligible for scholarships under the K to 12 Transition Program. Nomination of prospective scholars must be done by their Sending HEI (SHEI). Please refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 3, series of 2016 for details.
Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI? No. CHED will only award scholarships to those who take graduate studies in recognized Delivering HEIs (DHEIs) and programs nationwide.
Where can a list of CHED-recognized DHEIs be found? CHED will release a partial list of recognized DHEIs by the end of February 2016, and a full list by the third week of March 2016, to be updated each academic year.
Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program before s/he can be nominated for the scholarship? No. SHEIs may nominate faculty or staff before they receive admission to recognized DHEIs. However, the scholarship will not be disbursed unless they are admitted.
What are other grants that faculty / staff can avail of? Aside from Scholarship grants, faculty / staff may opt to apply for:
(1) Instruction Grants where faculty can undergo a variety of training programs that will directly inform and improve instruction.
(2) Research and Creative Grants which will be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA). These grants include creative projects which may be beyond the scope of what is normally included as research.
(3) Sectoral Engagement Grants where Industry partners, civil society organizations, and government agencies will form partnerships with CHED and HEIs for faculty members to share their expertise, to employ their skills and knowledge to contribute to development, and to incorporate insights from field experience to align with instruction and current practice. CHED is tapping industry and civil society partners through their umbrella organizations while conducting talks with other government agencies for potential partnerships. The minimum time for engagement is 6 months, and the maximum time is 2 years. However, the acceptance of grantees into the organization/ company is up to the discretion of the employer.
Who are eligible for grants? All faculty and staff, regardless of status are eligible for the grant. The only requirement is that they are retained in the sending institution.
Are grants available during the latter part of the Transition Period? Yes. A main feature of the grant is that it is accessible when the faculty needs it due to deloading. This must be reflected in the semestral HEI application.
What are Teaching Guides? Teaching Guides (TGs) are the basic reference of SHS teachers. It has competencies that are mapped and aligned with the DepEd SHS Curriculum. These TGs are designed to be highly usable for teachers, contains classroom activities, assessment tools, pedagogical notes, and media and technology recommendations.
What courses will be covered in this project? The following 21 courses will be covered in this project:
• Core Courses (7): General Mathematics, Statistics and Probability, Physical Science, Earth Science, Earth & Life Science, Media and Information Literacy, and Disaster Readiness and Risk Reduction
• STEM Academic Strand (8): Pre-Calculus, Basic Calculus, General Chemistry 1 & 2, General Physics 1 & 2, and General Biology 1 & 2
• ABM Strand (6): Fundamentals of Accounting, Business and Management 1 & 2; Business Mathematics, and Business Finance, Applied Economics, and Principles of Marketing
What about the other courses in SHS? To systematize the said effort, the Commission will focus on the said 21 courses where they deem their support and expertise is needed the most, while DepEd is taking the lead on the rest. TESDA is also providing support for the Technical-Vocational and Livelihood subjects.
Who will have access to the CHED Teaching Guides? The teaching guides will be made available to SHS teachers nationwide, both in print and digital formats, through CHED’s partnership with DepEd, and the involvement of the Private Education Assistance Committee (PEAC) and the National Network of Normal Schools (3NS).
K to 12 DOLE Adjustment Measures Program (K to 12 DOLE-AMP)
What is K to 12 DOLE AMP? K to 12 DOLE AMP is a mitigation measure of the Department of Labor and Employment aimed to support displaced HEIpersonnel in their transition to self or fulltime employment.
Who are qualified to avail of the program? All HEI personnel, regardless of tenure and position, who are displaced due to the implementation of RA No.10533, may avail of the program benefits.
Is the program limited to professors and instructors? No. The program is not limited to teaching personnel of the affected HEI but also covers non-teaching personnel such as maintenance, librarians, guidance counselors, administrative staff and others provided that they are displaced because of the implementation of K to 12 Program.
Is a part-time faculty qualified to avail of K to 12 DOLE AMP? Yes, a part-time facultyis covered by the program if he/she isfully terminated by the HEI.
Would a faculty whose teaching load was merely reduced because of K to 12 but was not totally terminated be qualified for the K to 12 DOLE AMP? No. K to 12 DOLE AMP only applies to fully terminated HEI personnel.
What are the services that can be availed of in this program? K to 12 DOLE AMP offers the following services: 1) Financial Support; 2) Employment Facilitation; and 3) Training and Livelihood.
Is it possible for a displaced HEI personnel to avail of all these services? Yes, any qualified displaced HEI personnel may avail of all the three services simultaneously.
What kind of Financial Support can a client get? The Financial Support under the K to 12 DOLE AMP is a form of assistance to be used by the displaced personnel in his/her search for a subsequent full-time wage employment. An assessed and qualified displaced HEI personnel shall receive an amount equivalent to either his/her previous salary or the prevailing regional median salary, whichever is lower.
For how long will a client receive this amount? Depending on the displaced HEI personnel’s status of employment, if permanent, the Financial Support is for a duration of six (6) months while the nonpermanent will receive the Financial Support for a duration of three (3) months or to six (6) months if the HEI personnel has no other wage employment thatresults to a total income loss in which the applicant needs to submit his Income Tax Return (ITR) for verification purposes.
If in case a displaced HEI personnel got accepted into the program, how will he/she be able to receive the amount? Financial support grant will be released through ATM money transfers.
What other services can a client avail of aside from Financial Support? Qualified HEI personnel may likewise avail of two other services namely, Employment Facilitation and Training and Livelihood.
What is Employment Facilitation all about? Displaced HEI personnel will be referred to other existing DOLE Employment programs as indicated in the Recommended Plan of Action (RPA) to be given to the qualified applicant upon his/her acceptance to the program.
How about if the displaced HEI personnel wants to avail of Training and Livelihood services? The displaced HEI personnel will be referred to TESDA orother government sponsored trainings which may or may not be free of charge and subject to the requirements of such government programs. A list of training which are free of charge is available at DOLE Regional Offices (RO) and TESDA.
How can the applicant avail of K to 12 DOLE AMP? The applicant shall submit an application form along with other requirements to the nearest DOLE Regional/Field Offices (DOLE ROsFOs) or the Public Employment Service Office (PESO). Such application forms may be secured from the Quick Response Team (QRT) that will be visiting the school within thirty (30) days after notice from the HEI.
What are the requirements a displaced HEI personnel must submit? a) Notarized notice of termination issued by theHEI; b) Photocopy of HEI employee’s ID or any government ID; c) Latest income tax return (ITR), if applicable.
What will happen after submission all the requirements? The applicant will receive the K to 12 DOLE AMP Notices. If qualified, a Notice of Acceptance will be sent to him containing other instructions with RPA. If not qualified, a Notice of Denial will be sent to the applicant.
What are the conditional requirements of the program? A displaced HEI personnel qualified for Financial Support (FS) is required to make ten (10) job contacts for, or every after, three (3) months which must be reflected in their individual RPAs.
Can a qualified displaced HEI personnel/cleint be suspended/disqualified from the program? Yes. An accepted client may be suspended from the program if he/she does not comply with the conditional requirements or an issued warning. Third count of disregard of the prescribed conditional requirements, misrepresentation of facts or submission of falsified documents will disqualify an accepted displaced HEI personnel from receiving program benefits. Unlike suspension, disqualification cannot be lifted by subsequent documented explanation.
Can a client still avail of any CHED or DepEd mitigation program? A grantee may apply to a DepEd SHS but may no longer avail of any CHED mitigation program during the transition period.
If the HEI personnel is terminated who will shoulder payments for loans and premiums in SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-IBIG? Payments for SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-IBIG premiums and loans will be shouldered by the terminated HEI personnel.
TESDA Programs
What are the TESDA programs and services that can be availed of affected HEI personnel due to the implementation of the K to 12 program? 1. Regular training programs being offered by TESDA-administered institutions.
2. Training for Work Scholarship Program (TWSP) being offered in institutions with TESDA-registered programs that aims to purposively drive TVET provision to available jobs for immediate employment, both locally and overseas. This program is a response to the clamor of industry to address the critical skills shortages in priority sectors, particularly the Business Process Outsourcing, metals and engineering, agri-fishery, semiconductor and electronics, construction and tourism, among others.
3. Competency assessment and certification of HEI faculty who would want to teach certain qualifications under the tech-voc track in Senior High Schools or other HEI personnel who want to pursue another career in tech-voc.
(Provided, however that prospective program beneficiaries shall meet the minimum qualification and admission requirements for the program.)
How can displaced HEI personnel avail of the TESDA programs and services? The DOLE ROs/FOsshall endorse to the nearest TESDA Provincial Offices in the provinces and District Offices in Metro Manila those displaced HEI personnel who wants to avail of TESDA skills training programs. The concerned TESDA Provincial Offices in the provinces or District Offices in Metro Manila shall facilitate the orientation, screening/ processing of prospective beneficiaries.Qualified applicants will be issued training vouchers for the specific qualifications that they want to pursue.
Will an experienced HEI faculty especially those who are holders of Masters or Doctorate degrees who wish to teach tech-voc in SHS still undergo TESDA assessment and certification? Yes.They need to possess the National TVET Trainers Certificate which is a combination of two (2) certifications: National Certificate (NC) in the specific qualifications that they will teach in SHS and the Training Methodology (TM) Certificate. The Training Methodology (TM) program will enable the individual to perform the following competencies:
Plan training sessions
Facilitate learning sessions
Supervise Work-based learning
Conduct competency assessment
Maintain training facilities
Utilize electronic media in facilitating training
How can faculty of Higher Education Institutions be able to teach TVET courses in SHS? Faculty of private HEIs/ TVIs may be hired hire to teach in their specialized subjects in the secondary education. These graduates must possess the necessary certification issued by the TESDA and that they undergo appropriate in-service trainings to be administered by the DepEd. They will be given priority in hiring under DepEd’s “Green Lane” program during the K to 12 transition period


Can HEIs transfer, retrench or redundate* teaching and non-reaching personnel before the first semester of 2016? Yes, they can. Retrenchment, redundancy or other forms of separation from employment from 2013-2016 must hurdle the tests of its validity/regularity set by law and jurisprudence. The Labor Code and the Joint Guidelines recognize institutional academic freedom and management prerogative. Educational institutions have the right to regulate all aspects of employment, such as hiring, the freedom to prescribe work assignments, working methods, processes to be followed, regulations regarding transfer of employees, supervision of their work, lay-off and discipline, and dismissal and recall of workers, as well as the right to establish high standards of competency and efficiency for its teaching and non-teaching personnel in order to achieve and maintain academic excellence. But the exercise of these rights must be in good faith and must not be used as a pretext to defeat the rights of employees under the laws and applicable contracts. Beginning the first semester of 2016 onwards, HEIs’ implementation of a retrenchment program is considered as within the interim period (2016-2021) where there will be foregone enrolment that may result in the displacement of some teaching and non-teaching personnel. Hence, government assistance may be availed of by affected personnel and HEIs.

*Redundate refers to the declaration of redundancy of a position