Talk to Us

How can we help?


About K to 12
Grants for Personnel
Grants for Institutions


Didn’t see what you were looking for?

Send us an inquiry



General Information About the K to 12 Transition

What is the transition period?

For the K to 12 reform, this refers to the time from September 2013 (when the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533 were passed) to the end of SY 2021-2022. In a higher education context, it refers to the five-year period from SY 2016-2017 until SY 2020-2021, in which students nationwide will enroll in Senior High School instead of going straight to college. This means low college freshman enrollment in 2016-2017, low enrollment for freshmen and sophomores the next year, low enrollment for sophomores and juniors the year after that, and so on.

What are Senior High School “Early Adopter Schools”?

Senior High School “Early Adopter Schools” have been authorized by DepEd to open Grades 11 and 12 in their schools prior to the full nationwide implementation in SY 2016-2017. In line with DepEd Order No. 42, Series of 2015 these schools are:

  • Private schools that submitted a K to 12 transition plan,
  • Public and private schools that took part in the Senior High School Modeling Program in SY 2012- 2013 and SY 2013-2014, and
  • Public and private schools which did early implementation of Senior High School in SY 2014-2015.

What is the ASEAN Integration and what does it have to do with K to 12?

The ASEAN countries have taken steps toward integration, which allows for the free flow of goods, services and skilled labor, and the harmonization of qualifications frameworks throughout the region. This means the Philippines will follow the same qualification standards that other countries in the region follow, and Filipino workers’ qualifications will be measured against those coming from other ASEAN countries, i.e., a Filipino college graduate/technician/doctor must be of the same level as one from Vietnam or Thailand or Singapore. The Philippines is the last country in the region to follow the ten-year basic education cycle. The transition to K to 12 is necessary to meet these global standards to harmonize qualifications for basic education or what is considered a high school graduate.

My college has opened Senior High School. Is it still under CHED?

The college component is still under CHED, but all Senior High Schools in the country fall under the jurisdiction of DepEd.

Why can’t displaced college teachers simply be the ones to teach in Senior High School?

They can. Many higher education institutions are offering Senior High School to curb the effect of the transition period on their personnel. As part of the mitigation measures, DepEd is also prioritizing displaced higher education personnel in hiring for Senior High School. In addition, SHS Support Grants are available for said teachers. Refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 9, series of 2016.

Is it true that people will lose their jobs because of K to 12?

Yes. The transition period will see severe reduction in college enrollment, meaning private higher education institutions, which depend on tuition fees for salary and operations, will have to let go of some of their people. However, it is not true that 80,000 people will lose their jobs–the latest estimates peg it at around 25,000 over five years. Further, DepEd and DOLE have crafted mitigation measures to connect displaced personnel to new jobs in proportion to their income level, and the CHED K to 12 Transition Program provides grants and incentives for schools to not have to retrench their people. These projects are expected to further reduce the number of those displaced.

What about those faculty members who will not be retrenched but will have lower income because of reduced teaching load?

The CHED K to 12 Transition Program was designed precisely for faculty and staff in this period of low teaching and work loads. They may avail of Scholarships, Instruction, Research and Sectoral Engagement Grants, or SHS Support Grants.

Return to Top ↑


On Enrollment in College

I will graduate from Senior High School before 2018. Will my university credit my Senior High School (SHS) subjects as prerequisites or put me in advanced placement?

Colleges and universities may credit Senior High School subjects or give advanced placement to SHS graduates, although mechanisms and processes may differ and are left to the discretion of the school.

I graduated from high school before the K to 12 reform. Will I be admitted to college without SHS?

Yes, and you are strongly encouraged to enroll either in SY 2016-2017 or SY 2017-2018. By SY 2018-2019, those who enter college will be presumed to have undergone SHS. Those who will enter college during SY 2018-2019 and after may need to undergo bridging programs as implemented by the admitting colleges and universities. For more info, visit the Lifelong Learners page.

How about those students who previously dropped out of college and decide to return in SY 2018-2019?

All students who enter or return to college from SY 2018-2019 onwards will be presumed to have graduated from Senior High School. If you have previously taken college courses, the college or university you enroll in may credit them, consistent with the systems and policies of individual schools in terms of crediting. CHED will release further clarifications on this before 2018.

Will colleges and universities still be open for freshman enrollment from 2016 to 2018? Who will be allowed to enroll?

Yes. Those who graduate from high school before 2016 from high schools under the old curriculum, or from early adopter Senior High Schools in 2016, will be allowed to enroll in college. The details of this are included in the Memorandum from the Chairperson dated July 13, 2015, and DepEd Order No. 42, series of 2015. Students are advised to contact their preferred schools for more information.

Can a student still pursue a college major outside of his Senior High School track?

Yes. Students will not be barred from pursuing a major that is not in line with his/her SHS track. CHED will release a policy on this before SY 2018-2019, when the first nationwide batch of SHS graduates enter college.

Should those who complete Grade 10 in 2016 continue to Grade 11 or will they be allowed to enter college?

All students who complete Grade 10 in SY 2015-2016 will be required to enter Grade 11 in SY 2016-2017, and then Grade 12 the year after. They will be admitted as college freshmen starting SY 2018-2019.

Return to Top ↑


College Curriculum

Will college courses be reduced to three years?

Not necessarily. Because remedial subjects will now be taught in Senior High School, there is enough space now in the college curriculum for more specialized classes that will give students the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills. The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses, and revisions will be in place in time for June 2018 when the first nationwide Senior High School graduates enter college, to complement their K to 12 education.

How does K to 12 change the college curriculum?

The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses and redesigning them to complement K to 12 in time for June 2018, when the first batch of SHS graduates enter college. Most significantly, students have the opportunity to take more specialized classes now that remedial classes will be removed from college.

When will the Revised GE curriculum be implemented?

The Revised GE curriculum (CHED Memorandum Order No. 20, series of 2013) will be implemented from SY 2018-2019 onwards.

Return to Top ↑


SHS Permits for SUCs/LUCs

Our SUC applied to offer five different SHS strands, but was only approved for three. What is the basis for the evaluation of applications to offer SHS, and/or the particular tracks and strands?

CHED makes recommendations to DepEd, and DepEd grants the authority to offer SHS. The evaluation of application takes two important things into account: (1) the need in the municipality, as demonstrated by the number of existing SHS providers for each track/strand, and the projected number of enrollees from DepEd, according to the mapping conducted by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), and (2) the capacity of each SUC/LUC applicant to deliver each track/strand as demonstrated by the courses currently offered, accreditation, and faculty credentials. So, in some cases, there are SUCs/LUCs that have the capacity to offer certain tracks, but do not receive a permit, because the PIDS mapping has found that there is already sufficient supply for said tracks.

Who will award the SHS permits?

The Department of Education (DepEd) is the only agency that issues permits for SUCs and LUCs to operate Senior High School. This is in line with Section 15 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013 (Republic Act 10533) which states: “The DepEd shall regulate the offering of Senior High School in private educational institutions. Private educational institutions may only offer Senior High School when so authorized by the DepEd. The DepEd shall prescribe the guidelines on the issuance and/or revocation of permits and/or recognition of Senior High Schools.”

Does a private HEI still need to submit a provisional application to CHED to be recommended for SHS permits?

No, private HEIs need not go through CHED to apply for SHS permits, and may go directly to the concerned DepEd office.

Return to Top ↑


Scholarships for Graduate Studies (Local)

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, personnel visit the grant page here.


For Personnel

Who can apply for the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships?

HEI teaching and non-teaching personnel affected by the implementation of the K to 12 Program, regardless of tenure, full-time or part-time, are eligible for the Scholarships for Graduate Studies – Local. Interested personnel must be nominated by their public or private Sending HEI (SHEI). Please refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 3 and 36, series of 2016 for details.

Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI?

CHED will only award scholarships to those who will pursue an approved program in recognized Delivering HEIs (DHEIs) nationwide. Visit this page​ for the full list of CHED-recognized DHEIs.

What if there is no HEI that is qualified to deliver a graduate program in our area?

SHEIs in the area may opt to have their scholars enroll in a DHEI outside of the city/region, which would then entitle them to an annual transportation allowance of P10,000 per academic year or P5,000 per semester.

Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program before s/he can be nominated for the scholarship?

No. SHEIs may nominate their faculty or staff before they will be admitted in a CHED-recognized DHEIs. Faculty/staff taking an on-going program may also be nominated for the scholarships, provided that they are taking a degree related/connected to their teaching discipline in a CHED-recognized DHEI.

Will I receive scholarship privileges during the summer/Christmas break?

Scholars may receive their living allowance even while on official school break (e.g. summer or mid-year break) provided that the scholarship agreement is still in force. For the list of requirement/s, refer to CMO 4, s. 2017, Article VI, Section A, No. 6.

Can I transfer to another DHEI or program?

As per CMO 4, s. 2017, scholars must enroll in the degree program, approved by the Commission, or an allied program under the same discipline/specialization. Scholar may not change the degree program/DHEI once enrolled, and while the grant contract is in force.

Can I defer my scholarship to next school year?

Requesting for deferment is highly discouraged and will only be considered for meritorious reasons. For the list of requirements and process, refer to CMO 4, s. 2017, Article VI, Section C, No. 2. Note that scholars may defer their scholarship for one (1) semester only.

Can I withdraw from the scholarship and avail of it another time?

Requesting to withdraw from the scholarship is highly discouraged. Scholars who intend to withdraw must seek approval from the Commission. They can still avail of the scholarship by undergoing on the same process.

Take note that all financial support extended to the scholar shall be repaid to the Commission in case he/she is unable to finish his/her degree.

What happens if I fail a subject or have incomplete grades?

Scholars with incomplete grades or its equivalent in any course taken during the term must comply with the course requirement/s immediately in order to continuously receive the allowance.

Exceptions may only be granted for meritorious cases, or when the course itself requires the scholar to be on incomplete status or equivalent as certified by the DHEI through the GMO.

What are the usual reasons for unsuccessful nominations?

The following are the reasons for unsuccessful nominations:

  • Vague or general individual justifications
  • Failure to clearly state the HEI’s mandate and goals
  • Failure to justify the scholarship nominations to the HEI’s overall vision and goals
  • Incomplete documentary requirements

What are the reasons for delay in allowances?

The following discrepancies were encountered in some submissions which led to delays in the processing of the allowances:

  • Incomplete documentary requirements. ​Copy of enrollment form, authenticated copy of grades, or Scholarship Contract or Letter of Acceptance and Scholarship Undertaking.
  • Incomplete grades. ​Grades with marks of INC (incomplete), NFE (no formal examination), or NFR (no final requirement/s)
  • Failing grades. ​Scholars must meet the passing general weighted average as standardized by the DHEI to continue with the scholarship.
  • Discrepancies in the enrollment form. ​Must be authenticated or original copy and must be signed by the DHEI’s registrar.



What are the requirements to become a​ Delivering Higher Educational Institution (DHEI)
during the K to 12 Transition Period?

Requirements may vary depending on the type of graduate program (Single, Jointly-Delivered, or Consortium-Delivered program) an HEI wants to deliver and depending on their accreditation qualifications. Interested HEIs may refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 4, series of 2016, for the detailed instructions of the application process to become delivering HEIs.

What if the HEI does not meet the eligibility criteria to deliver a particular graduate program in the region?

First, potential DHEIs may initiate partnerships or consortium arrangements with other HEIs to build upon each other’s resources and qualifications to qualify to deliver a desired program. Second, in the absence of potential partners, HEIs may request a qualified DHEI outside of the region to deliver the said program off-site. The requesting HEI may then serve as host HEI (HHEI), and would simply need to provide facilities. HEIs are encouraged to seek the assistance of their CHED Regional Office if needed.

When is the application to become a DHEI in the Transition Period?

Applications to become DHEIs for graduate programs under the Transition Program are done annually.

What benefits will DHEIs receive?

DHEIs under the Transition Program will be identified as key partners in forming a critical mass of Filipino scholars. In addition, DHEIs will receive support from CHED in an amount no greater than 5% of total cost of tuition and other fees of all CHED-funded faculty scholars as administrative support. CHED may also provide financial assistance, on a by-proposal basis for visiting professorship programs.

Can we offer graduate programs to CHED scholars even if we are not a recognized DHEI by the Commission?

No. CHED will only award scholarships to those who take graduate studies in CHED-recognized DHEIs and approved programs nationwide. Therefore, CHED will provide authorization to interested HEIs prior to accepting CHED-funded scholars to their graduate programs.

Will our application be processed if we intend to offer new graduate programs for the K to 12 Transition Program?

No. Consistent with the amendments to the guidelines for Graduate Education Delivery in the Transition Period, proposed new programs of an HEI, shall only be eligible as a program offering for DHEI if the program is approved by CHED, pursuant to relevant CMOs and discipline-specific PSGs. However, exceptions are given to Autonomous HEIs intending to offer new graduate programs.

How will we know the results of our application?

CHED will notify successful HEIs through a Memorandum from the Chairperson within the first quarter of this year and will also update the list found at

Can we become delivering institutions of our faculty who availed of the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships?

No. To avoid academic inbreeding, faculty scholars must take graduate studies in graduate schools other than their home or sending institution.

Exceptions to this may be allowed on a case-to-case basis, especially in instances when the Sending HEI is the only delivering institution in the region. Scholars may send a letter to the Commission justifying the reason/s why they need to pursue the program in their SHEI.

Return to Top ↑


Scholarships for Graduate Studies (Abroad)

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, visit the grant page here.


Partial Support

Who can apply for the Partial Support Grant under Scholarship for Graduate Studies – Abroad?

Teaching and non-teaching personnel from CHED-recognized higher education institutions (HEIs) can apply for the Partial Support Grants. Please refer to CMO 22 and 39, s. 2016, and CHED Memorandum Order No. 03 series of 2017 for details.

Do I need to be nominated by my Higher Education Institution?

Interested applicants must submit their applications individually and will still need to seek endorsement from the president of their HEI before they can apply.

Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI abroad?

No. The Commission will only award scholarships to those HEI faculty and staff who are admitted from a top-ranking university. In addition, their graduate program should be part of the priority fields identified by the Commission. Please refer to Appendix 2 of CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 22, series of 2016 for details.

Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program abroad before s/he can apply for the scholarship?

Yes. Prospective scholars will be asked to submit an official certificate of acceptance to a specific program issued by a top-ranking university abroad as part of the application requirements.

The school I’m applying to is asking if I will receive any other financial assistance. Can I list this scholarship even if I haven’t been accepted yet?

No. It is not advised to cite the receipt of a CHED scholarship until the award of such has been duly confirmed by the Commission.

I’m over the age limit. Will I still be considered?

Prospective scholars over the age limit may still apply provided that they are able to justify their case and explain how they will be able to render return service after their program should they be awarded a grant, for consideration of CHED.

When is the deadline of applications?

The Commission accepts applications on a monthly rolling basis. However, it is advised that prospective scholars send their applications 3 months before the start of their program.

Can I still apply for the grant if I am already abroad and in the middle of my studies?

Yes, prospective scholars who have commenced their studies abroad may still submit applications and must have their documentary requirements consularized.


Full Support

Do I need to be nominated by my Higher Education Institution?

Interested applicants must submit their applications individually but must still seek endorsement from the president of their HEI. This is needed especially when the applicant will seek the HEI’s approval of their Re-entry Action Plan and, later, their tripartite contract with CHED and their HEI.

When are the call for applications?

Please visit​ for the list of available scholarship delivery partners and information about the opening and deadline of applications.

Do I need to be admitted in a foreign institution to be able to apply for a full support
scholarship grant?

It depends. Most of our partners will take care of placement and admission. However, a select few (e.g. CHED-PhilFrance) may require you to have gained admission to a foreign HEI as an application requirement. To know more, kindly read our partners’ eligibility criteria.

I am currently a Masters and/or PhD holder. Can I still apply for the full support scholarship grant?

Yes. However, please take note that the course/program you will be applying to must be aligned with the subject areas of your prior conferred degrees.

Does the full support scholarship grant cover costs incurred for taking language proficiency exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) required by most foreign scholarship grants?

Not always. However, scholars availing the full support scholarship grant may avail of the Start-up Grant for Foreign Studies Application to fund the language proficiency tests required by our partners, if any. Please take note that not all our partners will require accomplishing a language proficiency exam. Kindly refer to their respective eligibility criteria.

Return to Top ↑


Sectoral Engagement Grants

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, visit the grant page here.


Who can be nominated for the Sectoral Engagement (SE) Grants?

Only CHED-recognized HEIs are eligible to nominate their personnel for the grants. Any higher education personnel, regardless of tenure, is eligible to be nominated for the grants, preferably a master’s degree holder and are fully or partially deloaded during the period of the engagement. Moreover, each grantee must only have a maximum teaching load of 12 units (for teaching personnel) or 12 hours of workload per week (for non-teaching personnel) during the period of the engagement.

Grantees who have plantilla items from SUCs or LUCs will NOT receive monthly cash grants from CHED due to the limitation set on double compensation. They are, however, entitled to receive their full monthly salary from their SHEIs while working with a partner and while engaged under the grants.

How long can a person avail of the grants?

Each grantee may avail of the Sectoral Engagement (SE) grants on a full time basis for a maximum duration of two cumulative years (24 months). The 2 years may be spread across the entire transition period spanning from 2016-2021. If engagements are done on a part-time basis, the computation of the months availed will be equal to the number of months engaged divided by 2.

Which partners can I apply to?

Grantees who do not have existing partners may apply for the engagements through the Commission’s vetted partners (​)

Meanwhile, grantees who applied under HEI-initiated partnerships will conduct the engagements stipulated under their agreement with the partner that they applied with.

How do I get matched with a partner?

A list of available engagements and partners will be available in the online nomination platform (​). Sectoral Partners will be posting the details of their engagements, similar to online job-matching platforms, and approved nominees will be able to “apply” to the engagements. Note that matching is still subject to the approval and screening processes of the sectoral partner/s that grantees apply to.

What do you mean by HEI-initiated partnerships?

Partners submitted by HEIs may be eligible to host sectoral engagement grantees. This can be covered under Existing Partnerships that have been formalized by a Memorandum of Agreement/ Understanding (MOA/ MOU), or Prospective Partnerships that have yet to be formalized by the HEI and the partner. HEIs can seek for these partnerships to be recognized by submitting the requirements for partners, as well
as a copy of the MOA/ MOU for existing partnerships, or an exchange of letters between the HEI and the partner that certifies their relationship for prospective partnerships.

Can I work for the partner immediately after the engagement?

No, all grantees must render return service to their Sending HEI immediately after the engagement. The required return service by the Commission follows a ratio of one is to one, or every fraction thereof, wherein an engagement period of any time from 1-12 months is equivalent to a 1-year return service requirement.

Can I avail of another engagement after my engagement is finished?

Grantees who have finished their engagements may avail of another engagement provided that they have complied with the following requirements:

  1. The partner of the first engagement has signed the End-Term Evaluation Report and has issued a Certificate of Completion
  2. The SHEI of the grantee nominates him/her for another round of engagements
  3. The SHEI submits a Letter to Defer the Rendering of Return Service

When can we nominate our personnel?

The Call for Nominations for the Sectoral Engagement Grants are done on a quarterly basis and will each last for around one month. Nominations that are done outside of the official period for nominations may be considered on a case-to-case basis. Visit​ for the nomination schedule.

Return to Top ↑


Institutional Development and Innovation Grants

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, personnel visit the grant page here.


Can two or more HEIs apply to do a project together?

Two or more HEIs may establish a partnership or collaboration. They must however identify a lead HEI who shall apply for the grant in behalf of the whole unit, following the regular processes for individual HEI applicants.

What if our proposed project falls under more than one category?

HEIs must identify their project either as Institutional Development or Institutional Innovation, but may cut across the various components under each category. Creativity is greatly encouraged.

Can we have more than one project at a time under IDI Grants?

HEI campuses which have accessed the Grant through the regular application process may only have one (1) project funded at a time. Institutions with ongoing projects under the Grant at the time of Call for Proposals are disqualified from applying. However, HEIs remain eligible to implement programs under CHED-initiated projects for IDI Grants even if they have received funding from the Grant.

Can the grant be used to purchase equipment?

Yes, as long as it is deemed critical in attaining the project objectives by the necessary evaluating panels, and approved by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Note that this may require longer processing time for the disbursal of funds.

Can the grant be used to fund construction of infrastructure?

No. The grant may only be used for Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) budget items. All outlay shall be included in the counterpart support of the HEI grantee.

Are we required to have a deloaded teaching or non-teaching personnel as part of the
project implementation?

Yes. HEI grantees a required to employ at least one (1) deloaded teaching or non-teaching personnel as part of the project implementation. The deloaded personnel, whether fully or partially deloaded, must have a maximum load equivalent to half of the normal loading of the institution, whether teaching or administrative; or an equivalent of 20 hours of work hours per week for non-teaching personnel. Salary of the deloaded personnel who will be part of the project implementation shall be part of the counterpart support of the HEI grantee.

We’ve completed the project under IDI Grant. What’s the next step?

HEIs that have successfully implemented projects under the IDI Grant are obliged to mentor other HEIs, as specified in the approved design for cascading best practices of the project. The cascading of best practices shall also be accomplished within the implementation period, which shall run for a maximum of 24 months or two years.

We were not selected for the grant this year. Can we re-apply?

Yes. Proposals that were not approved may be re-submitted in succeeding Calls for Proposals, provided the necessary revisions and improvements are made.

Return to Top ↑


Continuing Professional Education Grants

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, personnel visit the grant page here.


Why did the Commission revise and expand the CPE grants?

The Commission revised and expanded the guidelines for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Grants in order to (1) focus on greater scope beyond content and highly specialized knowledge, as shown through comprehensive grant platforms and coverage; (2) respond to gaps in disciplines based on a strong research component; and (3) provide clearer guidelines on planning and implementation to ensure sustainability.

What are the grant inclusions?

The Commission shall provide funding support on a proposal-basis, provided that the proper documentary requirements are submitted and the proposal passes the financial review process. Budgeting guidelines can be found in the website.

Is there a prescribed structure and duration?

The Grant shall be implemented over a maximum duration of twenty-four (24) months for RPDI and twelve (12) months for IPDI . Courses/modules may be spread out over the duration of the program, depending on the Work and Financial Plan.

What should be included in the Work and Financial Plan?

The cost of administration of the proposing institution may be included in the expenses and must not exceed 5% of the total expenses incurred. The proponent HEI shall include any counterpart or complementary funding provided by the HEI or by partner organizations in the Work and Financial Plan.

How often will funds be disbursed?

The grant amount will be disbursed to the HEI grantee in tranches, depending on the the grant type.

Who will own the outputs of the grant?

Outputs of the grant shall be considered to be under the Creative Commons Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives (CC-BY-NC-ND) license.

Return to Top ↑


DARE TO Research Grant

To learn more about the qualifications, benefits, and the application process, personnel visit the grant page here.


Will I receive my entire budget request?

The funding will be disbursed in two tranches, to be released annually. The work and financial plan must reflect the expected expenses in the first and second year of the proposed project. The first tranche will be released together with the issuance of Notice to Proceed to the HEI, following effective date of the downloading of fund to the bank account of HEI. The second tranche will be disbursed after a positive evaluation of the midterm report and submission of financial report and liquidation documents.

Does the project’s Lead Researcher need to come from the Lead HEI?

We strongly encourage the Lead HEI to put forward the Lead Researcher. In some cases, the project team may also nominate a Lead Researcher coming from another HEI In such a case, the Lead HEI must appoint a grant manager to take care of the fund. This aims to allow for distribution of tasks and sharing of expertise, as may be required by the research project’s scope.

Are there any guidelines to establishing partnerships?

We strongly recommend institutions seeking partners to connect with the members of the Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNet) and the Higher Education Regional Research Centers (HERRC). These represent some of the finest institutions of Philippine research, with representatives in most regions. They are encouraged to help take charge in the co-development of research to support the growth other Philippine schools. We are also encouraging partnerships of big institutions with HEI that are not autonomous, deregulated, or are not CoE or CoD for particular programs. This would help these small HEI to grow and develop their capacity in handling research.

Our faculty are interested to research as a member of a DARE TO team but they are not deloaded or affected by K to 12? How do we apply?

If researching faculty are not deloaded (as defined by CMO 51, s. 2016) or otherwise affected by K to 12, they are not eligible. A faculty member must teach only a maximum of 12 units per term, or a maximum of 20 work hours per week. A signed written document from the HEI certifying the team member’s reduced work load must be provided.

I am a grantee of a different CHED K to 12 grant. Can I take part under DARE TO?

No. The principle behind the CHED K to 12 grant is to assist as many affected faculty as possible. To do so effectively, the policies behind the CHED K to 12 grant is “one-grant-at-a-time”. We advise CHED K to 12 grantees to complete their scholarship or any engagement they have before they enter into DARE TO.

If I am a CHED grantee but not under K to 12, can I take part in DARE TO?

As of the moment, no prohibitions or such arrangements have been set with other CHED offices. Grantees may take part, provided that no duplication of projects takes place, and that no such prohibitions exist in the other grants.

Can overheads be charged?

Due to the rules required by our funding source, we will not allow budget for attendance to conferences, foreign travel, or presentation abroad. However, local travel directly relevant to the award, such as to a research training project, focus group discussion, local presentations, samplings or surveys, are acceptable. Overhead costs should be included and justified in the budget and in the Financial Plan when the full proposal is submitted.

My research project will run for more than 24 months. Will this be acceptable?

The research proposed must run for a maximum period of two (2) years. The validity of the funding will likewise be for this duration. No-cost project extensions may be requested by the HEI in writing and shall be subject to the approval of the Commission, based on the preliminary evaluation of the progress of the project. Requests for extension must be submitted at least two (2) months prior to the end of the project duration. Provided, the HEI shall not receive additional privileges and incentives, during the period of the approved project extensions.

What reports am I required to submit?

In terms of funding, the Lead HEI must annually submit audited financial statements. For the technical aspect of the research, regular monitoring will be done by CHED. The Lead HEI must submit a midterm accomplishment report and a final report and other outputs as indicated in the approved proposal. At the end of the project, the proponent is required to submit a terminal report and must produce outputs proportional to the funding provided and must follow the measurement of research outputs endorsed by the CHED Office of Planning, Research, and Knowledge Management (OPRKM).

Do I need University Research Board (URB) and/or Institutional Research Council (IRC) approval before I apply for a grant or later, when I receive a grant?

To ensure the capacity of the HEI to handle large amount of grants, we require those HEIs with a functioning URB or IRC.

If I feel that my application was turned down unreasonably, is there an Appeals Procedure?

The decision of the Commission is final.

Can the private industry or non-profit handle the Grant?

No, the grant is awarded to the CHED-recognized HEI only, and the funding will be disbursed to the Lead HEI of the program. Other entities will need to work closely with an HEI and have their research targets aligned with the HEI’s own proposal.

What qualities should my idea possess to be chosen for the Grant?

Proposals are requested for trans/ inter-disciplinary research, development, extension, and innovation projects focusing on any of the areas outlined in the Omnibus Policy for Research and Extension or CHED Memorandum Order No. 52, s. 2016, also entitled “Pathways to Equity, Relevance, and Advancement in Research, Innovation, and Extension in Philippine Higher Education”. Please refer to Part II: Grant Principles and Platforms and Part IV: Eligibility, Section 5 – Research Eligibility.

Can I patent my invention as a result of the Grant?

Yes. The Commission encourages researchers to submit new patents from their work with this grant. Patent applications must be filed with the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHIL).

How much time is permitted for me to submit a FULL PROPOSAL after the announcement of the short listed concept papers?

After the announcement of the shortlisted concept papers, the HEI is asked to submit a full proposal, at most a month after, as a requirement for disbursement. The deadline set by the Commission will be strictly observed.

Are there items that I am not allowed to spend for using the DARE TO grant? What guidelines should I use for salaries and honoraria?

There are a number of documents that outline the rules for funding salaries, honoraria, and other expenditures that will be used for the research grant. They include: CHED Administrative Order No. 1, s. 2011, CHED Order No. 2, s. 2011, and the Commission on Audit Circular 2012-003. A full set of the documents may be found online. In particular, this grant will not allow expenses such as procurement of vehicles, building of infrastructure, and importation of equipment among others.

What if I am unable to deliver the project outputs?

The grant is expected to be good for a maximum of two (2) years. Grantee institutions may request for an extension of the grant, for the purpose of fulfillment of the grant deliverables. No additional funding will be provided in this extension. Failure to deliver the project outputs will result in the repayment of the grant, and may also result in the institution no longer being eligible to receive future grants from CHED.

Can I create a startup company based on my research output?

Yes. Under Republic Act No. 10055 (or Philippine Technology Transfer Act of 2009), scientists are allowed to create, manage or serve as consultants to companies that can commercially exploit technology arising from government-funded research, such as CHED’s DARE TO grant. This is provided that all necessary conditions outlined in RA 10055 are present and adhered to.

How is this different from an IDIG Grant of K to 12?

The Institutional Development and Innovations Grant (IDIG) is an initiative by the K to 12 Transition Program to enable HEIs to to fund initiatives that strengthen their qualifications and capacity to respond and remain relevant to local, regional, national, and global priorities. IDIG programs aim to upgrade the capacity of the institutions in order to take on more challenging tasks. In contrast, DARE TO is a grant-in-aid to enable HEIs to conduct high-level research and extension work. In terms of research, DARE TO funds conduct of research and IDIG helps capacity-building for research.

The Commission encourages HEIs that wish to begin endeavors in research, or seek to gain new accreditation to explore application for an IDIG grant. HEIs that have a more established track record of research excellence are also accordingly invited to submit proposals for a grant under DARE TO.

Return to Top ↑



Other Channels