Frequently Asked Questions


What is the transition period?
The transition period for the K to 12 reform refers to the time from September 2013 (when the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533 were passed) to the end of SY 2021-2022. However, when used within a higher education context, it refers to the five-year period from SY 2016-2017 until SY 2020-2021, in which students nationwide will enroll in Senior High School instead of going straight to college. This means that there will be low college freshman enrollment in 2016-2017, low enrollment for freshmen and sophomores the next year, low enrollment for sophomores and juniors the year after that, and so on.

What are Senior High School “Early Adopter Schools”?
Senior High School “Early Adopter Schools” are those schools that have been authorized by DepEd to open Grades 11 and 12 in their schools prior to the full nationwide implementation in SY 2016-2017. In line with DepEd Order No. 42, Series of 2015 these schools are:

  • Private schools that submitted a K to 12 transition plan,
  • Public and private schools that took part in the Senior High School Modeling Program in SY 2012- 2013 and SY 2013-2014, and
  • Public and private schools which did early implementation of Senior Hi’gh School in SY 2014-2015.

What is the ASEAN Integration and what does it have to do with K to 12?
The ASEAN countries have taken steps toward integration, which allows for the free flow of goods, services and skilled labor, and the harmonization of qualifications frameworks throughout the region. This means the Philippines will follow the same qualification standards that other countries in the region follow, and Filipino workers’ qualifications will be measured against those coming from other ASEAN countries, i.e., a Filipino college graduate/technician/doctor must be of the same level as one from Vietnam or Thailand or Singapore. The Philippines is the last country in the region to follow the ten-year basic education cycle: the transition to K to 12 is necessary to meet these global standards to harmonize qualifications for basic education or what is considered a high school graduate.

My college has opened Senior High School. Is it still under CHED?
The college component is still under CHED, but all Senior High Schools in the country fall under the jurisdiction of DepEd.

Why can’t displaced college teachers simply be the ones to teach in Senior High School?
They can. Many higher education institutions are offering Senior High School to curb the effect of the transition period on their personnel. As part of the mitigation measures, DepEd is also prioritizing displaced higher education personnel in hiring for Senior High School. In addition, SHS Support Grants are available for said teachers. Refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 9, series of 2016.

Is it true that people will lose their jobs because of K to 12?
Yes. The transition period will see severe reduction in college enrollment, meaning private higher education institutions, which depend on tuition fees for salary and operations, will have to let go of some of their people. However, it is not true that 80,000 people will lose their jobs–the latest estimates peg it at around 25,000 over five years. Further, DepEd and DOLE have crafted mitigation measures to connect displaced personnel to new jobs in proportion to their income level, and the CHED K to 12 Transition Program provides grants and incentives for schools to not have to retrench their people. These projects are expected to further reduce the number of those displaced.

What about those faculty members who will not be retrenched but will have lower income because of reduced teaching load?
The CHED K to 12 Transition Program was designed precisely for faculty and staff in this period of low teaching and work loads. They may avail of Scholarships, Instruction, Research and Sectoral Engagement (IRSE) Grants, or SHS Support Grants.



I will graduate from Senior High School before 2018. Will my university credit my Senior High School (SHS) subjects as prerequisites or put me in advanced placement?Colleges and universities may credit Senior High School subjects or give advanced placement to SHS graduates, although mechanisms and processes may differ and are left to the discretion of the school.

I graduated from high school before the K to 12 reform. Will I be admitted to college without SHS?
Yes, and you are strongly encouraged to enroll either in SY 2016-2017 or SY 2017-2018. By SY 2018-2019, those who enter graduates will be presumed to have undergone SHS. Refer to the Memorandum from the Chairperson dated July 13, 2015,

How about those students who previously dropped out of college and decide to return in SY 2018-2019?
All students who enter or return to college from SY 2018-2019 onwards will be presumed to have graduated from Senior High School. If you have previously taken college courses, the college or university you enroll in may credit them, consistent with the systems and policies of individual schools in terms of crediting. CHED will release further clarifications on this before 2018.

Will colleges and universities still be open for freshman enrollment from 2016 to 2018? Who will be allowed to enroll?
Yes. Those who graduate from high school before 2016 from high schools under the old curriculum, or from early adopter Senior High Schools in 2016, will be allowed to enroll in college. The details of this are included in the Memorandum from the Chairperson dated July 13, 2015, and DepEd Order No. 42, series of 2015. Students are advised to contact their preferred schools for more information.

Can a student still pursue a college major outside of his Senior High School track?
Yes. Students will not be barred from pursuing a major that is not in line with his/her SHS track. CHED will release a policy on this before SY 2018-2019, when the first nationwide batch of SHS graduates enter college.

Should those who complete Grade 10 in 2016 continue to Grade 11 or will they be allowed to enter college?
All students who complete Grade 10 in SY 2015-2016 will be required to enter Grade 11 in SY 2016-2017, and then Grade 12 the year after. They will be admitted as college freshmen starting SY 2018-2019.



Will college courses be reduced to three years?
Not necessarily. Because remedial subjects will now be taught in Senior High School, there is enough space now in the college curriculum for more specialized classes that will give students the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills. The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses, and revisions will be in place in time for June 2018 when the first nationwide Senior High School graduates enter college, to complement their K to 12 education.

How does K to 12 change the college curriculum?
The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses and redesigning them to complement K to 12 in time for June 2018, when the first batch of SHS graduates enter college. Most significantly, students have the opportunity to take more specialized classes now that remedial classes will be removed from college.

When will the Revised GE curriculum be implemented?
The Revised GE curriculum (CHED Memorandum Order No. 20, series of 2013) will be implemented from SY 2018-2019 onwards.



Our SUC applied to offer five different SHS strands, but was only approved for three. What is the basis for the evaluation of applications to offer SHS, and/or the particular tracks and strands?
CHED makes recommendations to DepEd, and DepEd grants the authority to offer SHS. The evaluation of application takes two important things into account: (1) the need in the municipality, as demonstrated by the number of existing SHS providers for each track/strand, and the projected number of enrollees from DepEd, according to the mapping conducted by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), and (2) the capacity of each SUC/LUC applicant to deliver each track/strand as demonstrated by the courses currently offered, accreditation, and faculty credentials. So, in some cases, there are SUCs/LUCs that have the capacity to offer certain tracks, but do not receive a permit, because the PIDS mapping has found that there is already sufficient supply for said tracks. However, if an SUC/LUC finds that the demand is higher than those estimated in the mapping, they may …

Who will award the SHS permits?
The Department of Education (DepEd) is the only agency that issues permits for SUCs and LUCs to operate Senior High School. This is in line with Section 15 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013 (Republic Act 10533) which states: “The DepEd shall regulate the offering of Senior High School in private educational institutions. Private educational institutions may only offer Senior High School when so authorized by the DepEd. The DepEd shall prescribe the guidelines on the issuance and/or revocation of permits and/or recognition of Senior High Schools.”

Does a private HEI still need to submit a provisional application to CHED to be recommended for SHS permits?
No, private HEIs need not go through CHED to apply for SHS permits, and may go directly to the concerned DepEd office.



How can an HEI be recognized by CHED?
Different requirements apply for each type of graduate program, and depending on the accreditation qualifications of an HEI. HEIs may refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 4, series of 2016, for detailed instructions on applications to become delivering HEIs (DHEIs).

What if there is no HEI that is qualified to deliver a graduate program in our area?
There are a number of possible approaches to this. First, SHEIs in the area may opt to have their scholars enroll in a DHEI outside of the city/region, which would then entitle them to an annual transportation allowance of P10,000. Second, potential DHEIs may initiate partnerships or consortium arrangements with other HEIs in the region in order to build upon each other’s resources and qualifications in order to qualify to deliver a desired program. Third, in the absence of potential partners, HEIs may request a qualified DHEI outside of the region to deliver the said program off-site. The requesting HEI may then serve as host HEI (HHEI), and would simply need to be able to provide facilities. HEIs are encouraged to seek the assistance of their CHED Regional Office if needed.



Who can apply for the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships?
HEI teaching and qualified non-teaching staff, permanent and non-permanent, are eligible for scholarships under the K to 12 Transition Program. Nomination of prospective scholars must be done by their Sending HEI (SHEI). Refer to CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 3, series of 2016, and CMO No. 36, series of 2016 for details.

Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI?
No. CHED will only award scholarships to those who take graduate studies in approved Delivering HEIs (DHEIs) and programs nationwide. For the list of approved nominees for the Scholarship Grants for the First Semester of AY 2016-2017, please refer to CMO No. 26, s. 2016; CMO No. 28, s. 2016; and CMO No. 31, s. 2016.

Where can I find a list of CHED-recognized DHEIs?
CHED released the list of approved DHEIs listed in the following CHED Memorandum Orders: CMO No. 8, s. 2016; CMO No. 10, s. 2016; CMO No. 16, s. 2016; and CMO No. 23, s. 2016. The list of DHEIs is to be updated each academic year.

Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program before s/he can be nominated for the scholarship?
No. SHEIs may nominate faculty or staff before they receive admission to recognized DHEIs. However, the scholarship will not be disbursed unless they are admitted.

What are the types of grants available under the Foreign Scholarships?

Eligible applicants may either apply for (1) Start-up grant for Foreign Studies Application; (2) Ph.D. Sandwich Program; (3) Partial Support for Foreign Master’s and Doctoral Studies; and   (4) Full Scholarships for Master’s and Doctoral Studies.

For an updated list of Full Scholarships opportunities, visit:

Are there other available scholarship grants for those who want to pursue their graduate studies abroad?
Yes. Filipino scholars who wish to pursue graduate studies abroad may apply for Foreign Scholarships for Graduate Studies issued under CMO No. 22, s. 2016. The grants are intended for HEI teaching and non-teaching personnel with a strong potential to become leaders in their respective discipline areas, institutions and communities, provided that they commit to fulfill a return service obligation in the form in teaching upon completion of the grant.



What are Teaching Guides?
Teaching Guides (TGs) are the basic reference of SHS teachers. It has competencies that are mapped and aligned with the DepEd SHS Curriculum. These TGs are designed to be highly usable for teachers, contains classroom activities, assessment tools, pedagogical notes, and media and technology recommendations.

What courses will be covered in this project?
The following 21 courses will be covered in this project:

  • Core Courses (7): General Mathematics, Statistics and Probability, Physical Science, Earth Science, Earth & Life Science, Media and Information Literacy, and Disaster Readiness and Risk Reduction
  • STEM Academic Strand (8): Pre-Calculus, Basic Calculus, General Chemistry 1 & 2, General Physics 1 & 2, and General Biology 1 & 2
  • ABM Strand (6): Fundamentals of Accounting, Business and Management 1 & 2; Business Mathematics, and Business Finance, Applied Economics, and Principles of Marketing

What about the other courses in SHS?
To systematize the said effort, the Commission will focus on the said 21 courses where they deem their support and expertise is needed the most, while DepEd is taking the lead on the rest. TESDA is also providing support for the Technical-Vocational and Livelihood subjects.

Who will have access to the CHED Teaching Guides?
The teaching guides will be made available to SHS teachers nationwide, both in print and digital formats, through CHED’s partnership with DepEd, and the involvement of the Private Education Assistance Committee (PEAC) and the National Network of Normal Schools (3NS).



What are other grants that faculty / staff can avail of?
Aside from Scholarship grants, faculty / staff may opt to apply for:

  1. Instruction Grants where faculty can undergo a variety of training programs that will directly inform and improve instruction.
  2. Research and Creative Grants which will be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA). These grants include creative projects which may be beyond the scope of what is normally included as research.
  3. Sectoral Engagement Grants where Industry partners, civil society organizations, and government agencies will form partnerships with CHED and HEIs for faculty members to share their expertise, to employ their skills and knowledge to contribute to development, and to incorporate insights from field experience to align with instruction and current practice. CHED is tapping industry and civil society partners through their umbrella organizations while conducting talks with other government agencies for potential partnerships. The minimum time for engagement is 6 months, and the maximum time is 2 years. However, the acceptance of grantees into the organization/ company is up to the discretion of the employer.


Who are eligible for grants?
All faculty and staff, regardless of status are eligible for the grant. The only requirement is that they are retained in the sending institution.


Can we apply for grants during the latter part of the Transition Period?
Yes! A main feature of the grant is that it is accessible when the faculty needs it due to deloading. This must be reflected in the semestral HEI application.


My nomination has been approved. What should I do next?
All approved nominees should visit this link for the next steps.

What does “Redirect Degree” mean?

  • Nominee must apply to a degree program indicating the specialization, or pursue a degree in a program that matches or is closely related to his/her teaching discipline and/or to the program outcomes stated in the strategic plan of the SHEI.
  • DHEIs will then send CHED a list of all scholars enrolled there, and information on the program taken. The scholar will not need to inform CHED anymore.

What does “Redirect DHEI” mean?
Nominee must seek a CHED-recognized DHEI in which to take his/her degree, with the exception of Thesis or Dissertation Grantees. The nominees may proceed to applying to a CHED-recognized DHEI which offers the degree program they were approved for.

Can a nominee change his/her DHEI? What is the process?
For approved nominees who intend to change their DHEI, they may do so as long as their new DHEI of choice is CHED-recognized and they apply to the degree program as approved in CMO 26, s. 2016. For list of DHEIs, they may visit this link.

Can a nominee change his/her program and/or program status? If yes, what will be the process?
For nominees without REDIRECT DEGREE remarks that are requesting to change their approved degree program, they must answer this change degree form by May 31, 2016.

Note, however, that the new degree program must be closely related to the approved program or teaching discipline of the nominee.

What if a nominee’s approved degree program is not available in the prospective DHEI?
A nominee must seek a different CHED-recognized DHEI. To view the full list of DHEIs and programs, go to this link.

What if a nominee’s approved degree program is not available in any CHED-recognized DHEI in the masterlist?
The nominee has the option to choose a degree program closely related to the approved degree program instead. They must inform their SHEI regarding this, and the nominee must answer the online change degree form as soon as possible.

The program I was redirected to is not available in the list of DHEIs and programs. What can I do?
You can choose another program closely related to the one you were nominated for.

For nominees that have no redirect remarks, but have requested to change their degree program through the Change Degree online form already, what is the next step?
Please wait for a confirmation email from the scholarships team 1-2 days after filling out the form. Once you’ve received the email confirmation, print this and bring it together with the Provisional Notice of Award copy upon enrollment.

The DHEI I will apply to will release results later than June since their classes start in August. Will the deadline be extended?
Special consideration will be given to scholars applying to DHEIs whose school year start on August. The deadline for the submission of the Scholarship Contract and copy of the proof of admission will be on July 20, 2016.

When will the next batch of approved nominees be released?
The second batch of approved nominees will be released within May 2016.


How can two or more HEIs apply as one unit?
Two or more HEIs may establish a partnership or collaboration and identify a lead HEI from among themselves, who shall apply for the grant in behalf of the whole unit, following the regular processes for individual HEI applicants.

What if our proposed project falls under more than one category?
HEIs must identify their project either as Institutional Development or Institutional Innovation, but may cut across the various sub-categories under each. Creativity is greatly encouraged.

Can we have more than one project at a time under IDI Grants?
No. Only one project at a time shall be funded for each HEI campus. HEIs with ongoing projects at the time of the next Call for Proposals are disqualified from applying.

We were not selected for the grant this year. Can we re-apply?
Yes. Proposals that are not approved may be re-submitted in succeeding Calls for Proposals, provided the necessary revisions and improvements are made.

Can the grant be used to purchase equipment?
Yes, as long as it is deemed critical in attaining the project objectives by the necessary evaluating panels, and approved by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Note that this may require longer processing time for the disbursal of funds.

We’ve completed the project under IDI Grant. What’s the next step?
HEIs that have successfully implemented projects under the IDI Grant are obliged to mentor other HEIs, as specified in the approved design for cascading best practices of the project.