Frequently Asked Questions


I will graduate from senior high school before 2018. Will my university credit my senior high school (SHS) subjects as prerequisites or put me in advanced placement?

Colleges and universities may credit senior high school subjects or give advanced placement to SHS graduates, although mechanisms and processes may differ and are left to the discretion of the school.

I graduated from high school before the K to 12 reform. Will I be admitted to college without SHS?

Yes, and you are strongly encouraged to enroll either in SY 2016-2017 or SY 2017-2018. By SY 2018-2019, those who enter graduates will be presumed to have undergone SHS. Refer to the Memorandum of the Chairperson dated July 13, 2015.

Will colleges and universities still be open for freshman enrollment from 2016 to 2018? Who will be allowed to enroll?

Yes. Those who graduate from high school before 2018, either from high schools under the old curriculum or from early adopter senior high schools, will be allowed to enroll in college. The details of this are included in the Memorandum from the Chairperson, dated July 13, 2015, and DepEd Order No. 42, series of 2015.

Can a student still pursue a college major outside of his senior high school track?

Yes. Students will not be barred from pursuing a major that is not in line with his/her SHS track. CHED will release a policy on this before SY 2018-2019, when the first nationwide batch of SHS graduates enter college.

Should those who complete Grade 10 in 2016 continue to Grade 11 or will they be allowed to enter college?

All students who complete Grade 10 in SY 2015-2016 will be required to enter Grade 11 in SY 2016-2017, and then Grade 12 the year after. They will be admitted as college freshmen starting SY 2018-2019.


Will college courses be reduced to three years?

Not necessarily. Because remedial subjects will now be taught in senior high school, there is enough space now in the college curriculum for more specialized classes that will give students the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills to complement their K to 12 education.

How does K to 12 change the college curriculum?

The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses and redesigning them to complement K to 12 in time for June 2018, when the first batch of SHS graduates enter college. Most significantly, students have the opportunity to take more specialized classes now that remedial classes will be removed from college.

When will the Revised GE curriculum be implemented?

The Revised GE curriculum (CHED Memorandum Order No. 20, series of 2013) will be implemented from SY 2018-2019 onwards.


Our SUC applied to offer five different SHS strands, but was only approved for three. What is the basis for the evaluation of applications to offer SHS, and/or the particular tracks and strands?

CHED makes recommendations to DepEd, and DepEd grants the authority to offer SHS. The evaluation of application takes two important things into account: (1) the need in the municipality, as demonstrated by the number of existing SHS providers for each track/strand, and the projected number of enrollees from DepEd, according to the mapping conducted by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), and (2) the capacity of each SUC/LUC applicant to deliver each track/strand as demonstrated by the courses currently offered, accreditation, and faculty credentials.

Who will award the SHS permits?

Only DepEd has the authority to grant SHS permits to SUCs and LUCs.

Does a private HEI still need to submit a provisional application to CHED to be recommended for SHS permits?

No, private HEIs need not go through CHED to apply for SHS permits, and may go directly to the concerned DepEd office.


How can an HEI be recognized by CHED?

Different requirements apply for each type of graduate program, and depending on the accreditation qualifications of an HEI. HEIs may refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 4, series of 2016, for detailed instructions on applications to become delivering HEIs (DHEIs).


Who can apply for the K to 12 Transition Program Scholarships?

HEI faculty and qualified non-teaching staff are eligible for scholarships under the K to 12 Transition Program. Nomination of prospective scholars must be done by their sending HEI (SHEI). Please refer to CHED Memorandum Order No. 3, series of 2016 for details.

Will scholars be allowed to take any graduate program in any HEI?

No. CHED will only award scholarships to those who take graduate studies in recognized Delivering HEIs (DHEIs) and programs nationwide.

Where can I find a list of CHED-recognized DHEIs?

CHED will release a partial list of recognized DHEIs by the end of February 2016, and a full list by the third week of March 2016, to be updated each academic year.

Does a prospective scholar need to be admitted to a graduate program before s/he can be nominated for the scholarship?

No. SHEIs may nominate faculty or staff before they receive admission to recognized DHEIs. However, the scholarship will not be disbursed unless they are admitted.


What are Teaching Guides?

Teaching Guides (TGs) are the basic reference of SHS teachers. It has competencies that are mapped and aligned with the DepEd SHS Curriculum. These TGs are designed to be highly usable for teachers, contains classroom activities, assessment tools, pedagogical notes, and media and technology recommendations.

What courses will be covered in this project?

The following 21 courses will be covered in this project:

Core Courses (7): General Mathematics, Statistics and Probability, Physical Science, Earth Science, Earth & Life Science, Media and Information Literacy, and Disaster Readiness and Risk Reduction

STEM Academic Strand (8): Pre-Calculus, Basic Calculus, General Chemistry 1 & 2, General Physics 1 & 2, and General Biology 1 & 2

ABM Strand (6): Fundamentals of Accounting, Business and Management 1 & 2; Business Mathematics, and Business Finance, Applied Economics, and Principles of Marketing

What about the other courses in SHS?

To systematize the said effort, the Commission will focus on the said 21 courses where they deem their support and expertise is needed the most, while DepEd is taking the lead on the rest. TESDA is also providing support for the Technical-Vocational and Livelihood subjects.

Who will have access to the CHED Teaching Guides?

The teaching guides will be made available to SHS teachers nationwide, both in print and digital formats, through CHED’s partnership with DepEd, and the involvement of the Private Education Assistance Committee (PEAC) and the National Network of Normal Schools (3NS).


What are other grants that faculty / staff can avail of?

Aside from Scholarship grants, faculty / staff may opt to apply for:

(1) Instruction Grants where faculty can undergo a variety of training programs that will directly inform and improve instruction.

(2) Research and Creative Grants which will be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA). These grants include creative projects which may be beyond the scope of what is normally included as research.

(3) Sectoral Engagement Grants where Industry partners, civil society organizations, and government agencies will form partnerships with CHED and HEIs for faculty members to share their expertise, to employ their skills and knowledge to contribute to development, and to incorporate insights from field experience to align with instruction and current practice. CHED is tapping industry and civil society partners through their umbrella organizations while conducting talks with other government agencies for potential partnerships. The minimum time for engagement is 6 months, and the maximum time is 2 years. However, the acceptance of grantees into the organization/ company is up to the discretion of the employer.

Who are eligible for grants?

All faculty and staff, regardless of status are eligible for the grant. The only requirement is that they are retained in the sending institution.

Can we apply for grants during the latter part of the Transition Period?

Yes! A main feature of the grant is that it is accessible when the faculty needs it due to deloading. This must be reflected in the semestral HEI application.