Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

What is the transition period?
The transition period for the K to 12 reform refers to the time from September 2013 (when the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 10533 were passed) to the end of SY 2021-2022. However, when used within a higher education context, it refers to the five-year period from SY 2016-2017 until SY 2020-2021, in which students nationwide will enroll in senior high school instead of going straight to college. This means that there will be low college freshman enrollment in 2016-2017, low enrollment for freshmen and sophomores the next year, low enrollment for sophomores and juniors the year after that, and so on.

Why are some schools implementing parts of K to 12 ahead of others?
The implementation of K to 12 was done in phases, and in fact began in 2011 when universal kindergarten was rolled out nationwide. The following school year, 2012-2013, DepEd rolled out Grades 1 and 7, the following year Grades 2 and 8, and so on. It is senior high school that will be rolled out in 2016 with Grade 11, followed by Grade 12 in 2017, although there are some early adopter school who opted to begin implementing senior high school before the nationwide rollout.

What is the ASEAN Economic Community and what does it have to do with K to 12?
The ASEAN Economic Community is set to be formed by the ten ASEAN member countries by December 2015, which allows for the free flow of goods, services and skilled labor across ASEAN countries, and the harmonization of qualifications frameworks throughout the region. This means the Philippines will follow the same qualification standards that other countries in the region follow, and Filipino workers’ qualifications will be measured against those coming from other ASEAN countries. The Philippines is the last country in the region to follow the ten-year basic education cycle: the transition to K to 12 is necessary to meet these global standards.

Students and Parents

Will college courses be reduced to three years?
Not necessarily. Because remedial subjects will now be taught in senior high school, there is enough space now in the college curriculum for more specialized classes that will give students the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and skills. The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses, and revisions will be in place in time for June 2018 when the first nationwide senior high school graduates enter college, to complement their K to 12 education.

Can a student still pursue a college major outside of his senior high school track?
Yes. Just like shifting majors in college, he or she would only need to catch up on prerequisite subjects for the new course.

I will graduate from senior high school before 2018. Will my university credit my senior high school subjects as prerequisites or put me in advanced placement?
Yes. Colleges and universities will be able to credit senior high school subjects, although mechanisms and processes may differ and are left to the discretion of the school.

I graduated from high school before the K to 12 reform. Will I be admitted to college without senior high school?
Yes, but only until SY 2017-2018. Starting SY 2018-2019, when the first batch of K to 12 graduates enter college, senior high school will be a requirement for college admission.

Will colleges and universities still be open for freshman enrollment from 2016 to 2018? Who will be allowed to enroll?
Yes. Those who graduate from high school before 2018, either from high schools under the old curriculum or from early adopter senior high schools, will be allowed to enroll in college. The details of this are included in the Memorandum from the Chairperson, dated 13 July 2015.

How does K to 12 change the college curriculum?
The CHED technical panels are currently evaluating college courses and redesigning them to complement K to 12. Most significantly, students have the opportunity to take more specialized classes now that remedial classes will be removed from college.

Employers and Employees

My college has opened senior high school. Is it still under CHED?
The college component is still under CHED, but all senior high schools in the country fall under the jurisdiction of DepEd.

Why can’t displaced college teachers simply be the ones to teach in senior high school?
They can. Many higher education institutions are offering senior high school to curb the effect of the transition period on their personnel. As part of the mitigation measures, DepEd is also prioritizing displaced higher education personnel in hiring for senior high school.

Is it true that people will lose their jobs because of K to 12?
Yes. The transition period will see severe reduction in college enrollment, meaning private higher education institutions, which depend on tuition fees for salary and operations, will have to let go of some of their people. However, it is not true that 80,000 people will lose their jobs–the latest estimates peg it at around 25,000 over five years. Further, DepEd and DOLE have crafted mitigation measures to connect displaced personnel to new jobs in proportion to their income level.

What about those faculty who will not be retrenched but will have lower income because of reduced teaching load?
CHED is responding to this precise need by designing packages for the transition that aim to mitigate impact of low enrollment and also upgrade higher education institutions and their personnel. They can avail of scholarships or development grants that may cover the diminution of salary caused by reduced teaching load.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s